Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Am I required to have smoke detectors installed in my home?

    If you own your home and it was built after 1986, the Wisconsin Unified Building code requires that a smoke detector be installed and hard wired to your house electrical system. If your home was built before 1986, it is recommended that you consider installing smoke detectors that are hard wired or battery operated.

    If you rent, smoke detectors are required to be installed and maintained by your landlord.

    CO detectors, while not required, are recommended if you have a heating system or appliances that use wood, oil or gas for fuel. 
  • Do I need a permit to burn in the city of Chippewa Falls?

    Yes. The Fire inspector or his designee may issue a permit after an on site inspection for the burning of wood or branches. (Chippewa Falls Municipal Code section 9-31)Burning Regulations 
  • Do you get cats out of trees?

    We strongly suggest you try opening a can of tuna and place it on the ground near the tree. Leave the immediate area and wait for the cat to get down on its own. 
  • How can I find out about what programs the Fire Department offers?

    You may visit our Fire Safety Programs page on our website or call 723-5710.
  • How do I contact my local Fire Department?

    • 911

    Non Emergency

    • 723-5710


    • 726-2751


  • I received a bill for ambulance service. How do I pay my bill?

    If you have any questions about your bill, contact the Fire Department secretary at
    723-5710 and she will be glad to help you. 
  • Is counseling available if my child is setting fires?

    Yes. The Fire Department has a Juvenile Fire Setters program that may be able to help. Contact the Fire Department by calling 723-5710. 
  • What do I do if my detector's alarm sounds?

    Never ignore the alarm, even if you do not smell smoke! Call 911 and the dispatcher will notify the Fire Department and advise you what to do.

  • Where can I get information about CPR courses?

    CPR classes may be arranged by contacting the Red Cross at 723-4655. 

  • Where can I go to get my blood pressure checked?

    Either fire station between the hours of 8:00 am. and 5:00 pm. 
  • Who do I call when my fire extinguisher is out of date or doesn't work?

    Look in the yellow pages under fire extinguishers. 
  • Why do fire trucks respond to emergency medical calls?

    Our primary mission is to provide customer satisfaction and patient care. Fire Department units are dispatched according to information received by the 911 operator. Firefighters are all trained as EMTs and while our ambulances are staffed with Advanced Life Support Intermediate-Enhanced-EMT's, there are certain scenarios that require more personnel. The fire engine may often be in close proximity to an emergency and can begin life saving techniques such as CPR and defibrillation prior to an ambulance arrival. 
  • Why do I see firefighters cutting holes in the roof of a building on fire?

    This is called venting the roof. There are two basic reasons for this practice. Dangerous gases and acrid smoke accumulate in a burning building. Unlike the movie version of fire, it is impossible for firefighters to see and endure the heat in such an environment. When a vent hole is made in the roof the smoke, heat and gases are allowed to escape. It also reduces the possibility of a back draft explosion.

  • Why do so many fire apparatus respond to simple incidents?

    The Chippewa Falls Fire Department thinks over-cautiously when they respond to citizens in need of help. The firefighters are prepared to deal with the worst case scenario. A fire requires a number of people to complete the assigned tasks. Firefighting teams are assigned certain responsibilities such as rescue, extinguishment, ventilation, water supply and accountability. Discovering that more units are needed once we arrive on the scene is often too late. We have learned from experience that it is better to have too much help than not enough.